Thursday, February 4, 2016

phases {thiers & mine}



It dawned on me as we were cleaning up toys for the 100th time this week I may forget what the girls were 'into' so I quickly snapped some pictures.  The princesses and castles have been around since Amelia's potty training days, so that is nearly 5 years now and they are still played with daily!  Those peculiar little things with eyes are Shopkins and they have somehow become a very crucial part of the princesses lives....or so I have gathered when I pop into check on the girls. It is fun to hear them playing pretend, creating little families or attending balls. I love it that they have wild imaginations!

Way before we had kids we were drawing up house plans with an architect and he said that children want to be where their parents are, he had five children of his own so who were we to argue.  Even if you have a nice playroom down in the basement or have toys up in their bedrooms they will likely want to be close to you when they are little.  This advice has proven to be very true of our girls.  The den in both this house and our last have really been the primary play areas.  Just recently, as the girls are getting older and being that our basement is so open to the upstairs that our little women venture down there. They ONLY go down together, rarely alone but up to this point they would only go down if I was down there too....growth!

Having my babies growing is crazy!
 In the midst of some challenging behaviors or bad habits, either the kids or mine, whatever the hard thing is, it can seem endless but it never is, it usually passes.  My mom has said to me that things come in phases, so I have really been trying to live in the phase, see the positive and know that it will come to an end. Just as there was a time they would only play near me sometimes right at my feet in the kitchen, that phase has past and they go off to the den or their bedrooms or to the basement - when they are together ;) I am no longer right there.  

Currently our girls will come and climb into our big king bed with us sometime during the night.  This happens almost every night but Mr. P and I both know this is a phase and it will not last forever, we decided to just embrace it. This morning Stella rolled over to face me and put her little arms around my neck and said she "sure loves to snuggle me".  Although there are times I would like to be able to stretch out in my own bed, these precious moments of morning snuggles won't last forever.  AND we only have two kids that will come climb in, we don't have a big brood so in my moments of sadness and longing for more children, this goes on the positive list of only having two :)

I have been organizing pictures as I have a scrapbooking weekend with a girl friend coming up.  My eyes couldn't help filling with tears as I clicked past pictures of a two year old Amelia painting at the kitchen table sitting in the booster seat, the seat I had to lift her up into and strap in so she wouldn't fall. Oh she still loves being creative, but back then she was learning to hold a tool in her hand that would make beauty, she was just beaming with pride.....ugh my heart and then so many pictures of Stella strapped to me in the sling. That little woman spent many, many hours of her first year of life chest to chest, bouncing with me where I could pat her little bum and kiss the top of her head.....phases that seem to have gone by so quickly when I look back.  The booster seat now used by cousins when they come over and the sling have I lent to a friend. Time passes.


Currently they are really 'into' using their markers and scissors. Since I am trying to be positive about their phases I will say they are learning how to sweep because there are constantly little pieces of paper on my floor :)

~ Momma P

No comments: