The author Mem Fox said, "reading endlessly, many books a day, often the same book over and over again. Don’t just read here or there a couple of times a week.... (as you read to your child they) will not fail to learn to read easily and quickly and happily."
We love to read at our house.
Before bed or nap is pretty standard but I am inspired to read more after coming across that quote by Mem Fox. I was struck by the last part were she says children will learn easily, quickly and happily. That just seems beautiful! There is definitely a place for formal teaching of the reading skill but gosh how lovely if children learn it happily through something they have done daily their entire life. I remember reading somewhere that for babies, where attention span is short, reading a short book many times a day is more effective then formally sitting down with a stack of books once or twice a day. Also, reading aloud helps children learn the intonation of language. Just some interesting comments on children and reading.
I have fond memories of my dad reading to us before bed. He would sit on the floor by the door where the hall light shone just enough for him to read us Swiss Family Robinson or The Black Stallion. We would drift off to sleep in our bunk beds to the sound of our dad's guff voice reading. I hope that my little ladies will look back and have similar memories of reading together in our big rocking chair or in the tent downstairs, I know I will.
I have fond memories of my dad reading to us before bed. He would sit on the floor by the door where the hall light shone just enough for him to read us Swiss Family Robinson or The Black Stallion. We would drift off to sleep in our bunk beds to the sound of our dad's guff voice reading. I hope that my little ladies will look back and have similar memories of reading together in our big rocking chair or in the tent downstairs, I know I will.
~ Mrs. P
No comments:
Post a Comment