Tuesday, November 6, 2012

the songs we sing...

I have been thinking about the songs we sing our little people. Why? What? The meaning if any?
 
I purchased a neat quote off of etsy.com that highlights a verse of a lullaby that my Gramma Hudkins sang to my mom, my mom sang to me and now I sing to my girls....it is quirky, yet so special...
"I love you 
a bushel and a peck
a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck"
It is cut out of wood and painted red, super neat and very meaningful. I plan to hang this on my family picture wall.
 
We have other songs we sing before bed.  Amelia has her favourites and makes requests, that Graham or I must sing.  The most popular one we changed the words of 'Are You Sleeping', it goes...
"Amelia Ann
Amelia Ann
 You're so cute
You're so cute
You're our little sweetheart
You're our little princess
Yes you are, Yes you are!"
This has now been adapted for Stella Charlene. 
 
Another bedtime tune that is a regular we have can go on and on and on,
it is to the tune 'London Bridge'...
'Mommy loves you Stella Charlene, Stella Charlene, Stella Charlene
Mommy loves you Stella Charlene all day long'
The person giving the love is changed each time and we seriously have made it go on, and on, as in our dog Tula, cousin Jacey, Grandma and Grandpa all have love to give.  So good for chilling out in the rocker!  (Stella and I especially did/do A LOT of this!!!)
 
A classic for the vehicle is 'I am a Child of God'  a beautiful children's song from church.  It has a calming power to it.  Just today we sang it for Stella who was being all emotional and over tired (dang daylight savings).  The words are thought provoking, especially when singing is sometimes the alternative to spazzing...
"Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
to live with Him someday"
 
The girls and I have attended every Rhymes and Story times Session offered in our community since Amelia's birth, with exception of this fall because of moving and such.  It has been great to learn new lullabies, finger plays and action songs.  So worthwhile!!!!  There is a special power that music has, magical almost!  Music just gets in our heads and those kiddo heads too.  This week Mia and I were playing in the den and she tells me, "her name is Molly and she is a singer in the band".   We have been listening to the Beatles lately, hehehehe "obla de obla da"!  Crazy what they observe and soak up.  Music man, pretty powerful stuff!!!
 
 My girls bustin out tunes on their wooden spoon microphones, 
then Miss Stella jammin on her cardboard guitar. 
We rock pretty hard around here!!
 
~ Momma P


No comments: