I have spent the last two weeks writing letters, making phone calls and reading articles so I can be informed on some government guidelines that were recently released. The government expectation is that schools create policy from the guidelines and then implement it. The frustration and challenge for me, and many others is that the guidelines well meant to be inclusive have some very concerning points. I have always felt that to be treated equal doesn't necessarily mean same. My heart has felt heavy! While I absolutely teach kindness, inclusion and compassion in my home and strive to live this way myself I simply must step up and speak up. A good friend sent me the following quote and it has been an encouragement in a world that seems to be getting darker and darker. I have felt emotionally drained but it is a new week, a new day and the month of LOVE so I will press forward and smile.
"As parents read the newspapers and magazines and see what the world is
trying to teach their children, they should become all the more
determined that their children not be damaged by such sin and error.
Parents should then provide the home life, the discipline, and the
training that will offset and neutralize the evil that is being done in
the world. As children learn of the ugly things in the world, they must
also learn of the good things in the world and the proper responses and
proper attitudes.20
Some years ago we visited a country where strange ideologies were taught
and “pernicious doctrines” were promulgated every day in the schools
and in the captive press. Every day the children listened to the
doctrines, philosophies, and ideals their teachers related.
Someone said that “constant dripping will wear away the hardest stone.”
This I knew, so I asked about the children: “Do they retain their faith?
Are they not overcome by the constant pressure of their teachers? How
can you be sure they will not leave the simple faith in God?”
The answer amounted to saying “We mend the damaged reservoir each night.
We teach our children positive righteousness so that the false
philosophies do not take hold. Our children are growing up in faith and
righteousness in spite of the almost overwhelming pressures from
outside.”
Even cracked dams can be mended and saved, and sandbags can hold back
the flood. And reiterated truth, renewed prayer, gospel teachings,
expression of love, and parental interest can save the child and keep
him on the right path.21"
~ President Kimball
1 comment:
Great quote, Jenny!
Post a Comment