Friday, November 11, 2011

Putting First Things First

So this is mostly for my girls, someday I plan to print out this blog for our little family.... 

Mr. P took a course for work a few weeks ago on the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People By Covey and although I read it as a teenager I am enjoying the refresher I've had as we've discussed the habits.  We've been having a little rendezvous each Sunday night at the kitchen table and plan the week, debrief life stuff, I've been loving it ( I totally dig this kind of stuff).  We are on the 3rd week: Putting First Things First. It was especially insightful and relevant to my life this week as I had a few moments of feeling overwhelmed and insufficient.  So the cool lesson for this habit, Putting First Things First is of the Rock Jar. There is a container of little pebbles and a container of big rocks... there is a whole object lesson behind the rock jar....the point is that both the pebbles and big rocks can fit in the jar BUT is is essential to put the big rocks in first! Generally speaking, the big rocks are people, caring for your physical, spiritual and emotion needs, the little pebbles are everything else. I do know that my kiddos are more important then getting dishes done immediately and Mr.P is more important then laundry but goodness, some days you just want to get all of those pebbles in the jar first, out of the way BUT my when my toddler takes my hand asking for stories and the hubs says to stop and come sit down to watch Survivor, I just need to do it!
Anyway, it is a great life lesson to be reminded of. 
I want to be the best wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend that I can be. 
I want to be more conscious of putting the big rocks into my jar first because
that is how I will be able to do my best!

Amelia had me draw this pic of our family the other day and I snapped a pic, obviously not because of my drawing skills but because she knows what is most important.
~ Mrs.P

2 comments:

The Stannix's said...

Jenny, I love this! Very inspiring and a great reminder for me! Thanks!

Kirsten said...

Very sweet Jenny, good things to remember for sure. (for a moment a had a feeling of huge insecurity because I thought Amelia drew that pic of your family, and I thought, oh dear, I have not sat down and done art with Julie enough! hahaha)