I always have these words from the John Lennon song in my head around Remembrance Day, it resonates with my soul. The ladies are very aware of why we have great respect for November 11th. This year we even learned that Charlie Brown has a 'Memorial Day' (American Remembrance Day) video so we found that and watched it - super great! The school has done a fantastic job of putting together an assembly that teaches and touches hearts. Students walk in and exit to a bag pipe player and then in a student lead assembly they introduced two different military men, both parents of students. Both spoke so well and one shared a power point of his family is France this past summer visiting Normandy and taught about the roll Canadian soldiers had in WWI and WWII. The senior choir sang a Bob Dhillon song and then for the moment of silence they had a trumpet playing TAPS, it gave me goose bumps. From start to finish the students were taught and reminded that this wonderful life we are living is because others sacrificed theirs. Around the world soldiers sacrifice so that other children can live in safety and have opportunity. I was incredibly impressed by the respect shown from the students. I am usually attend most assemblies and this is one that luckily I have been able to get to since Amelia was in Kindergarten. It absolutely helps me remember!
We made felt poppies this year because we kept loosing the ones we had picked up. I stashed them away so we can use them again next year. I also like having a visual reminder in our home and so earlier in the week we decorated the mantle and I pulled out the few books I have about Remembrance Day and Canada.
So grateful.
Lest we forget.
~ Mrs. P


No comments:
Post a Comment