Friday, October 17, 2014

field trip & special helper status

Goodness Amelia had a super fun day at school, a field trip AND she got to be the special helper!!!!!!!  It was a whole lot of awesome in one day for someone who is five years old.  I was able to be a parent volunteer for the day and love getting to be in her class. I have gotten to volunteer a few times and appreciate my sister and friends who swap babysitting with :)  It was so nice to be at school with her.

We walked the few blocks down the street to the Fire Department and had a tour, even getting to sit IN the fire trucks...pretty cool stuff.  Kinda funny was when Amelia was telling one of the fire fighters that she wanted to be an Ultrasound Tech when she grows up and that she could check his neck for lumps and that he could bring his wife to her when she is pregnant, Amelia could check the baby. (Amelia had swollen glands checked and knows that you can see babes on ultrasound)  It was pretty cute.  He turned to me as she moved through the truck and said that little kid was smart, ha I told him she was my kid and said thanks smiling to myself!  It was fun to be part of such a fun experience for the class.


 



 The other big highlight of the day was getting to watch Amelia's excitement and seriousness over her responsibilities as the special helper :)  It was adorable watching her do the little tasks Miss Russell asked her to do.  Show and Tell is a pretty big deal too.  We wrote three special things about the object Amelia chose to share and Miss Russell read them out, then students asked questions and made guesses.  Amelia was pretty pumped to share the blue bunny her dad had as a baby.  It is surprisingly in good condition and it is cherished by him and her, pretty special.



I am nerd but I LOVE SCHOOL!!!!!!  I am passionate about the beauty of public education and all that it offers.  Every time I have been in Amelia's class I feel it, I feel the goodness that goes on there.  When the principal smiles at us each morning when we cross the crosswalk onto school property I feel it, I feel the goodness.  There are a ton of alternatives for education out there but I know that this is soooooo right for my family.  Someday I will return and be part of the goodness in the education world, a time and a season though. There have been experiences already in the short 6 weeks of school that have helped my girl and I grow.  We had the discussion the other night during bedtime cuddles about the word "hot" and what other words could be used, she heard that at school.  Great conversation.  There has also been discussion about Monster High a popular kids toy brand, I don't like it.  It is rather dark and they don't smile.  It just isn't for us and so we have had good discussion about that and how they don't seem happy, we have other toys.  We have had good talks about things that we otherwise wouldn't have had.  For sure I could teach her all the academic stuff, I honestly mostly have already in regards to Kindergarten curriculum and I continue to supplement with the plethora of education stuff I have at home but man it has been cool to have her come home and share with great enthusiasm what she has learned.  There is such pride and independence and ownership, it rocks!


I think often about how this year is the first step of real separation for Miss Amelia and I.  She is out of my care each morning! Ah my heart.  I am a soft, sentimental person, I am a clinger and a smother-er, I know it.  I can't help but hope and pray that I have taught her the basics.  I hope that as she goes off she is a light in her class, a doer of good to her peers and stands tall being the awesome girl she is.  Every morning we hug, have a quick kiss goodbye and then she walks off into the school and I walk off the other way. Oh man

~ Momma P




No comments: