A few months ago we were visiting Auntie Linda's farm and Alyson kind of brought up an idea AND it has so far been pretty egg-celent! (see what I did there?) We were there and witness a chick hatching from its egg, it was so rad!! Alyson suggested we give it a try. We have a source for eggs and a resource to send the babies to.
We borrowed the incubator and all necessary supplies from our Great Aunt and are 10 days away from hatching some baby chicks in my den :) It is mostly exciting, although slightly terrifying!! Hatching chickens is a 21 day process so we tried to line things up so Stella's little Joy School friends will be here the day they are due to hatch!!!!! I host JS this month and am sooooo pleased to offer this experience to our little friends. I was able to find really great stuff online to print out and my girls are heavy into the YouTube Chicken Life cycle videos. I have been looking online and there really is a ton of great, free activities that we are able to do :)
The care is very simple; humidity around 40 and temp 37.5c. Add water and slightly adjust vent to manage those two variables. The machine it self turns from side to side so there is no rotation required. Literally we just add water and check it. I must say though I completely understand where the saying "old mother hen" comes from. The first night we set the eggs I probably checked them 100 times before bed!!!!!
Amelia and Stella are anxiously anticipating the chicks - me too honestly!!!! I changed out the chalkboard to match what is happening in the den ;) I am so grateful Alyson encouraged me to help her do this for our ladies. Neely and Jacey even received little toy chicks in their Easter baskets so they are practicing gentle hands, love it.
Stay tuned for adorable updates!!!!!!
~ Momma P

No comments:
Post a Comment