I love this time of year! There are so many special things that happen, I just want to slow the time and treasure everything. I take a ton of pictures but some things just can't be encapsulated in a photo - though I try!!! So a few of my favourites for this time of year;
* Watching Christmas movies together! These women snuggled together, oh my heart. Family Movie Night since about mid-November has come from our stash of Christmas movies, favourites being the old school animated Grinch (girls top choice) and Christmas Vacation (our adult top choice).
* Checking the mail and getting to open Christmas cards from friends. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this tradition!! Some friends send out emails and that is cool too but I so enjoy sitting on the couch looking at cards and reading annual Christmas letters.
* Pulling out the Christmas books and reading them each night together. There are so many good ones we have collected over the years! The girls have their favourties that we have read so many times these past few weeks.
* The Christmas tunes that fill our home, the vibe that while we are baking, cooking, decorating, playing. LOVE Christmas music! The girls and Graham's favourite cd is Duck Dynasty Chirstmas, mine is our new pick up Johnny Cash Christmas.
* The glow of the Christmas tree. It is on 24/7 so when we wake in the morning it is glowing and at night when we all go to bed it is just the glow of the tree, so peaceful.
* Our Advent Bags are opened each morning in December with great anticipation! Perhaps one of my most favourite traditions. A little toy or treat and an ornament woith a name for the Savior and scripture! Sets the tone each day.
* The NATIVITY story....the multiple sets we now have that sit in a basket on our hearth (we literally five cool different sets) that the girls rearrange and play with. This year we added a wooden peg people set that I scored at a great deal that has beautiful hand painted details. We have a stunning Willowtree Nativity that I have always wanted a stable for and this year Graham built a wood one for me and stained it, it is gorgeous and perfect. We also act out the Nativity each year with extended family and it is tremendously special. The girls start planning who they will get to be and take their roles seriously, there is much anticipation. I love that the Savior's birth is central for our family, or we strive for it to be anyway.
* The NATIVITY story....the multiple sets we now have that sit in a basket on our hearth (we literally five cool different sets) that the girls rearrange and play with. This year we added a wooden peg people set that I scored at a great deal that has beautiful hand painted details. We have a stunning Willowtree Nativity that I have always wanted a stable for and this year Graham built a wood one for me and stained it, it is gorgeous and perfect. We also act out the Nativity each year with extended family and it is tremendously special. The girls start planning who they will get to be and take their roles seriously, there is much anticipation. I love that the Savior's birth is central for our family, or we strive for it to be anyway.
* As cheesy as it sounds having so much family time is my most favourite!!! Both with extended family and our little crew just the four of us. There are many, many great things that happen in December but doing it together, golden!
As the girls grow it will be fun to see what traditions are their favourites.
~ Mrs. P
No comments:
Post a Comment