Tuesday, January 7, 2014

kinder bound

We took this selfie in front of Amelia's future school!!! She is now registered for kindergarten.  It was such an exciting step for her, so very bittersweet.
There almost aren't words. Such a mixture of emotions.
 
 I want to freeze time.
 I want to be present and cherish EVERY.SINGLE.MOMENT. from now until next September.
I want to keep her with me and never let her go - forget school.
I am full of excitement for the things she'll learn and experience.
I am eager to watch her go forward into the world being the beautiful shinning light she is.
I want to protect her from anything that may happen to hurt her tender heart.
I look forward to hearing about the adventures with new friends.
I am excited to hear about her teacher. (Teachers ROCK you know!)
I am pumped to watch her continue to grow. There is such joy in that.
 
Mr. P was home sick so just my big girl and I were able to go together on Monday morning, Stella stayed home watching a show with her Dad.  It made going that much more special just the two of us. That morning Amelia was a little grumpy (she is usually a chipper morning person) but as we brushed teeth and put on boots it dawned on me that she was nervous.  So excited and pumped as we both had been, she was feeling it...this is a BIG step!!! A few extra hugs and more patience, we forged on and by the time we pulled into the school parking lot my brave beauty was chatting away with me and we walked hand-in-hand through the front doors of the school. Registration just opened so we went that day to ensure we got the time spot that works best for our family.
 
Now I must say that I LOVE school, I have LOVED school, LOVE it so much I became a teacher. I now LOVE being at home with ladies and relish my role here. Great things await Amelia at school, things I can't teach her. I hope she will LOVE it!  I know the special kind of people who teach kindergarten (by best friend Amy is one), they are gems. I also know that the experiences she will have next year with stretch her and challenge her beyond any of the letters or numbers she will be learning. Saying that though, oh how she will be missed. I felt a little ache in my heart as we were at the school filling out papers and she sat beside me writing in her note book. For three hours of the day she won't be beside me....oh tears for real as I write this!
 
Kind of awesome, while in the office the principal recognized me from my attendance at last years Kindergarten Open House.  Yes, I am an eager beaver nerd and went a whole year early but I wanted to see what literacy approaches they used so we could possibly use them in Joy School. Anyway, I was in her little group for the school tour and she remembered my face.  I introduced her to Amelia and wanted to say, "please keep tabs on my baby girl she is so little and precious to me".  The principal had a warm, welcoming smile, I am sure my eyes spoke those words.  After our paperwork we walked around the foyer, looked at the student projects on display, looked at the library through the big wall of windows, even peeked through glass windows into one of the kindergarten classes.  Seeing the hand they high-five on the door with the letter sound of the week, reading about their adoption of a World Wildlife Foundation animal, and just seeing the exciting activities they have planned in their January Kindergarten Newsletter on the board, it absolutely reaffirmed to me that I am pretty sure she will LOVE next year and I am sure she will just flourish!!!!!  It will be great!
 
So be still my heart.
As we walked out we snapped a picture and she looks soooooo happy!  Honestly, the whole day I went back and forth between elation for her and tears for me. So bittersweet watching babies grow.
 
~ Momma P


No comments: