I have good friends who are great parents and am continually inspired by their fabulous ideas. One such idea was helping Amelia save and contribute to our families upcoming Disneyworld trip. She was able to do this by helping recycle bottles and then getting to keep the money. For about 6 months whenever our recycling was full I would call Amelia to help. When we were going to make a trip to the bottle depot I would get her to grab a corner of the garbage bag and help load them into the vehicle. When it was warm she even helped me bring them to the window and dump them. It has been a fun experience, well as fun as the smelly bottle depot can be. We had previously been donating them but when my friend shared this idea we jumped right in. Perhaps one of the coolest parts to this 'saving your pennies' exercise was that the piggybank she put her bottle money in was just a super cheap tin from Dollerama and to open it we had to use the can opener, so we honestly didn't keep track and were surprised when we opened it. She had a little over $140 dollars :) wowzers - yeah Amelia!!!!! She was also able to pay tithing for the first time, so that was neat for her to start that step of giving. We took Saturday to roll Mr.P's change and count Amelia's money then the two of them went to the bank and exchanged it for US$. I have to say I am pretty proud of her, it is exciting to start the learning process with such fundamental things like money.
~ Mrs. P
No comments:
Post a Comment