Thursday, October 17, 2013

Funk-a-li-cious

 
It is safe to say that this momma is working through a funk. I have been a complainer pants and tad negative, telling anyone who will listen.  Oh Jenny not cool!  But some interesting things have come about this week. Being at my parents was great but the reality of our dad working tons is just stinky.
Not to keep complaining (but kinda) Mr. P is still totally on shutdown - week 6, going on 7 - BOO!!!!!!
A change in my attitude must occur. I am in charge of myself (positive self talk).  I have come across these two great quotes and they fit perfectly with the changes I need to make. 

“Generally speaking, the most miserable people I know are those who are obsessed with themselves; the happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others...by and large, I have come to see that if we complain about life, it is because we are thinking only of ourselves.” President Gordon B. Hinckley
 
 Now I know that service helps you forget yourself, but when you are home with littles getting out and serving others can be tough BUT it is possible.  I was actually nice to someone today, yeah it was my sick little sister. It still felt good to bring her supper.  Also, I had read a message before written by a mother who said that she began to change her thinking about the things that she did for her own family and started thinking about the daily tasks she did as service to her family. LOVE IT and really want to kick it up a notch around our house. So I wrote my first post funk love note, check it out....

( oh what a $6 paint stick will do )
 
At church last Sunday, in my parents' congregation one of the speakers shared how she strived to be more joyful by having more gratitude and recording it daily at the bottom of her 'to do' list.  It was a light bulb moment for me, I have done a version of this before but haven't for awhile.  So each day since that talk on Sunday I have been thinking of 3 Things I am Grateful For, sometimes writing it, sometimes just thinking about it in the shower. Today I am thankful for #1 A great group of peers for Amelia. My heart was happy and grateful as I dropped her off at JoySchool. #2 A full fridge.  Being away for a week meant we had a pretty meager stash of food upon arriving home. What a blessing to just pull up to the grocery store, load up and have an abundance of good eats.  #3 Kiddos who played nice in the basement for 15 min so their dad and I could chat alone in his 30 min window before he had to go to work.  It has been cool because I have even caught my self rethinking about the things on my gratitude lists, pondering and saying quick little prayers of appreciation.  Thanks speaker lady, touched my heart!
Thankful people are happy #gratitude
Shutdowns are hard.  Mr. P amazes me with his attitude!  It is hard for us all but totally doable, we are doing it and I want to continue to do it just with a better attitude. Being funk-a-li-cious is on the way out. ( Perhaps we've been reading 'Pink-a-li-cious' books lately)

~ Mrs. P

This is a post that I am sure I'll need to reflect on again because shutdowns are just part of our lives.

No comments: